2023 Belmont Stakes Betting
Held every June at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York, the Belmont Stakes is a 1 1/2 mile Thoroughbred horse race representing the final leg of the US Triple Crown. As such, the Belmont race is one of the most anticipated events in the legal online horse betting community. There can be a lot at stake with the Belmont, especially if there's potential for a Triple Crown champion after the first two Triple Crown races.
The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes are the first two legs of the three-race Triple Crown series, and any horse that wins all three of these events becomes an instant legend. Naturally, if that's on the line, Belmont Stakes betting turns an even bigger handle than usual. Legal betting on the Belmont stakes is possible at brick-and-mortar racetracks throughout the US, at state-regulated online betting sites and OTB terminals, and via online sportsbooks operating legally outside of the United States.
Is It Legal To Bet On The Belmont Stakes Horse Race In 2023?
Yes, it is! And although the Belmont Stakes is one of the important US Triple Crown races, there's not an abundance of state-regulated opportunities for legally betting on the race before the fact. Over 40 states have domestic in-person and/or online horse betting available, but wagers can only be placed right before the race itself and are parimutuel.
In other words, you can't bet on Belmont futures, Belmont prop bets, Belmont cross-sport parlays, or anything like that. Only standard WPS bets and horse racing exotics (exactas, trifectas, superfectas, quinellas, etc.) are allowed. But if you take your bets online with offshore operators, you can bet on everything. In total, your legal Belmont Stakes betting options include:
- Placing bets at Belmont Park track in person
- Placing bets at other US-based racetracks that allow simulcast betting
- Utilizing one of the few US-based interstate racebook services that covers Belmont lines
- Betting at a legitimate offshore racebook that accepts US residents, such as the ones you see listed on this page.
Best US Online Horse Betting Site 2023
#1 Rated Legal Online Racebook For 2023
Bovada is one of the most reputable offshore horse betting websites and offers players a wide variety of pari-mutuel and house-banked options for every major horse racetrack around the world, including those in the US, UK, Japan, Australia, and elsewhere.
The Belmont Stakes turns one of the biggest handles of all races every year at Bovada, and you can use the site's $750 Sports Welcome bonus to bet the ponies (linen suit and cigar not included).
Most USA players accepted (18+)
Easy credit card funding with great approval rates
Now accepting Bitcoin + other top cryptos
5% cashback rebate for major horse races!
Enjoy casino, sports, poker, and horses
Only US, Mexico and Brazil players accepted
Residents of DE, MD, NJ, NV, NY not accepted
Fewer crypto deposit options than some competing sites
2023's Best Belmont Stakes Betting Sites
About the Belmont Stakes
The Belmont Stakes makes up the third leg of the storied Triple Crown horse racing series in the United States. The race is preceded by the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, in that order, and it concludes the most anticipated five weeks on the horse racing calendar.
Nicknamed "The Test of the Champion" as well as "The Run for the Carnations," the Belmont Stakes debuted way back in 1867, making it the oldest of the Triple Crown races and one of the oldest horse races in the world. The left-handed dirt track has been home to some of the most significant horse races in history.
The famous Secretariat holds the track record at 2:24:00, established back in 1973 when he won the Triple Crown. Secretariat's time has never been approached at the Belmont, and he also holds the fastest quarter-mile splits at the track, as well as the longest margin of victory at 31 lengths.
The Popularity of the Belmont Stakes Race
Along with the Breeders Cup and the two other Triple Crown races, the Belmont Stakes is one of the most-viewed horse races globally, and it's sometimes even the most wagered upon – usually when a Triple Crown contender is in the running.
In years when no horse can win the award (i.e. different horses win the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes), betting dwindles a bit at the Belmont simply due to the lack of historic champion hype. Still, the race regularly sees a handle of over $130 million domestically, with far more being wagered internationally and offshore.
Most legitimate and legal Internet sportsbooks will offer betting opportunities on all three Triple Crown races, and they'll also post futures betting options on the Belmont Stakes.
2023 Belmont Stakes Odds
Since the 2022 Belmont Stakes just concluded, there won't be odds for the 2023 Belmont stakes for quite some time. Usually, the best online horse betting sites only post Belmont betting lines and futures after the year's Preakness Stakes race. The final Belmont Stakes field won't be published until the last week before the race, after the Belmont Stakes gate drawing. Belmont Stakes alternates will also be announced at this time, and you'll be able to bet on them, too.
Be sure to check back here in late May/early June 2023 to get caught up on all the latest 2023 Belmont Stakes news and 2023 Belmont Stakes odds.
Legally Betting On The Belmont Stakes
You should always ensure the betting site you are using is authorized and legal for US players. US gambling laws permit the use of offshore sportsbooks and racebooks, and they're safe for American horseplayers to use as long as they meet those requirements.
All of the sportsbooks/racebooks listed on this page are considered legally sanctioned, and placing bets with them does not violate any US gambling laws. We have screened each of the destinations listed on this page for legal access and authorization, compliance certifications, betting line selection, reliability, and much more.
Exception: Residents of Washington are barred by state laws from gambling online, including participating in horse racing betting. That said, there are no records of these laws ever being enforced, and residents of WA are eligible to sign up with the international racebooks mentioned here. Please proceed at your own risk if you decide to do so.
Types Of Wagers On The Belmont Stakes Race
There are three kinds of general wagers you can place on the Belmont Stakes. The first two are straight bets and exotic bets, and these are typical for all horse races. The third type – the futures bet – is available only at international racebooks operating outside of US jurisdiction because they are house-banked wagers rather than parimutuel wagers.
- Win - Pick the winner.
- Place - Pick a horse to finish either first or second.
- Show - Pick a horse to finish first, second, or third.
- Quinella - Pick two horses to finish first and second in either order.
- Exacta - Pick two horses to finish first and second, in order.
- Trifecta - Pick three horses to finish first, second, or third, in order.
- Superfecta - Pick four horses to finish first, second, third, or fourth, in order.
- Daily Double - Pick the winner of two different races held on the same day at the track.
- Pick 3 - Pick the winner of three different races held on the same day at the track.
- Pick 5 - Pick the winner of five different races held on the same day at the track.
- Pick 6 - Pick the winner of six different races held on the same day at the track.
- Boxed Bets - Box a certain number of horses to have a chance at all possible finishing orders. Boxing a trifecta bet with five horses gives you a much better chance to hit on the trifecta, but the wager must account for each possible outcome.
Futures bets work in horse racing the same way that they work in sports betting, where your goal is to pick a series champion (or any other significant outcome) long before it happens.
During Triple Crown season, before the first race gets underway, you can find futures odds on potential winners of each race, and you can also make bets on whether or not there will be a Triple Crown winner this year. Futures pay out the best when you place your bets early.
Remember, futures bets are not pari-mutuel, which means that domestic racebooks can't offer them. If you want to get in on the action, you'll need to sign up at a top-rated legal offshore racebook that accepts US customers.
2022 Belmont Stakes Results
In 2022, there was no Triple Crown on the line for the Belmont Stakes, as the Kentucky Derby winner (Rich Strike) skipped the Preakness (which was won by Early Voting – just like the 2020 Presidential election!). The following were the final odds for the eight Belmont Stakes horses of 2022:
- We The People +225
- Mo Donegal +275
- Rich Strike +400
- Creative Minister +650
- Nest +800
- Barber Road +1200
- Golden Glider +2200
- Skippylongstocking +2000
The Belmont Stakes outcome was somewhat surprising. Not because Mo Donegal won (he was expected to perform well and was even the Belmont favorite at a few of the top online sportsbooks), but because Nest – a filly – came in second and finished just three lengths back in the biggest endurance Thoroughbred race of the year. The final 2022 Belmont Stakes standings were as follows:
- Mo Donegal – $800,000
- Nest – $280,000
- Skippylongstocking – $150,000
- We The People – $100,000
- Creative Minister – $60,000
- Rich Strike – $45,000
- Barber Road – $35,000
- Golden Glider – $30,000
US track-based parimutuel bets on Mo Donegal paid out per the following table (at $2 per ticket):
- Win: $7.20
- Place: $3.80
- Show: $3.00
When Is The Next Belmont Stakes?
The next Belmont Stakes is scheduled to be run on Saturday, June 10, 2023, with televised coverage beginning at 6:30 PM on NBC. This will be the 155th running of the Belmont Stakes and will be the rigorous and daunting "Test of the Champion" for which its full 12-furlong length is so famously celebrated.
Additional Legal Sportsbook Betting Options:
- Legal NFL Betting Sites: Find information on high quality and respected sports betting sites that offer a wide range of NFL betting lines and wagering options, as well as player and team stats and additional helpful resources.
- Legal NBA Betting Sites: NBA fans can visit this section to gain access to our most trusted and secure sportsbooks that cover NBA basketball events closely, including the pre and post season action.
- Legal MLB Betting Sites: Our guide to betting on MLB baseball games will provide you with access to online sportsbooks which have already been vetted by our team, and were found to be secure, legal, and offer an overall distinguished sports betting experience.
Other Legal Online Gambling Platforms To Consider:
- Legal Online Casinos: Get information on the industry's most trusted and secure online casino options that have been personally vetted by our team of online gambling professionals and found to be completely legitimate and safe.
- Legal Online Poker Sites: Finding safe and secure online poker gaming opportunities may not be quite as easy as a simple Google search. You'll want to ensure that each poker room you consider is legal to use, offers users high quality software, and boasts a high end security profile. Our team of professionals has done this for you and created this guide to assist you.