Triple Crown Horse Betting
The Triple Crown is a series of three horse races in the US that takes place over several weeks throughout May and June. It is comprised of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes. The Triple Crown series is the most storied tradition in horse racing.
There's a lot of betting activity surrounding the Triple Crown races each year, as well. For a horse to complete the Triple Crown, it must win all three races. This has only happened 13 times in history. The most recent winner in Triple Crown history came in 2018 with Justify. Before Justify, the last Triple Crown winner – American Pharoah – took the title in 2015.
- 2022 Kentucky Derby - Saturday, May 7, 2022
- 2022 Preakness Stakes - Saturday, May 21, 2022
- 2022 Belmont Stakes - Saturday, June 11, 2022
Establishing Early Triple Crown Betting Odds
Predicting a correct Triple Crown winner yields a lot of money in legal horse betting, especially if you can get your wagers in early. Some people begin placing future bets on a potential Triple Crown winner as early as before the Kentucky Derby.
If you place a bet sooner than later, you can lock in better odds versus waiting for the safe bet. For example, if a horse wins the Derby, its odds to be a Triple Crown winner shorten and payouts decrease dramatically. If that same horse then wins the Preakness, those odds shorten even more.
Placing a bet on a horse that has won the first two Triple Crown races to be a Triple Crown champion will yield far less in winnings compared to what you could’ve gotten wagering prior to the first leg. Predicting a Triple Crown winner that early on is an obviously difficult task. The best strategy is to look at the favorites heading into the Derby. If those horses do well and escape without injury or strain, they will likely compete in the second and third legs.
Is It Legal To Bet On The Triple Crown Horse Race In The United States?
Yes. Some states permit online horse race betting through sites operated by the tracks themselves. For those outside of participating states, legitimate offshore racebooks present the only legal viable alternative according to the 1978 Interstate Horseracing Act (IHRA). If the online racebook you are using operates out of a legitimate governing jurisdiction located outside the United States, you are not in violation of any US gambling laws.
The reputable offshore sportsbooks and racebooks listed in this guide are legal based on their industry credentials and regulatory protocols. It is not unusual for offshore online racebooks and sportsbooks that offer Triple Crown betting odds to provide an expanded range of wagering options that exceed those offered at physical racetracks.
Top US Online Horse Betting Website
#1 Rated Legal Online Racebook For USA Players
Bovada is a world-class sportsbook offering all types of betting options under one single account – including horse betting! They have earned an impeccable reputation by treating players right and paying winnings out like a bank. Bovada also routinely posts Triple Crown props and Triple Crown futures each year, giving horseplayers even more opportunities to win.
Almost All USA players accepted
Easy credit card funding with great approval rates
Now accepting Bitcoin + other cryptos
5% cashback rebate for the Derby
Enjoy sports betting, casino, and horses
Only US, Mexico and Brazil players accepted
Residents of DE, MD, NJ, NV, NY not accepted
Limited deposit options compared to other sites
Identifying The Top Triple Crown Betting Sites
We exhaustively vet all the major websites which offer legal Triple Crown betting online, and the first thing we validate is a sportsbook's legitimacy and legal operation within the industry, and you should as well. Some jurisdictions are stricter and more reputable than others concerning who they allow to operate an international online sportsbook.
By checking customer reviews online, which number in the thousands literally, and trolling sportsbook betting forums and chat rooms, we can get a very good idea of just how safe and secure a particular operation is. And as always, one of the top considerations when choosing an Internet sportsbook is its banking suite. Demand 128 or 256 bit SSL security, a wide range of traditional and safe banking options, and speedy payouts.
Looking Forward To The 2022 Triple Crown Series
The 2022 Triple Crown Series will surely produce some new names and horses. Right now, Kentucky Derby favorite Epicenter is at the center of discussion as the favorite to take the Triple Crown, but there are several strong horses that could play spoiler. Nevertheless, regardless of which horse wins the Derby, there will be plenty of new Triple Crown odds posted once we head into the second leg of the series.
2022 Triple Crown Betting Odds
Via Bovada Racebook
Odds To Win Triple Crown In 2022
- No Triple Crown Winner In 2022 -1000
- Epicenter +2000
- Messier +3300
- Taiba +3300
- Zandon +3300
- Charge It +6600
- Cyberknife +6600
- Mo Donegal +6600
- Simplification +6600
- Smile Happy +6600
- White Abarrio +6600
- Crown Pride +12500
- Tiz The Bomb +12500
- Zozos +12500
- Classic Causeway +15000
- Pioneer Of Medina +15000
- Barber Road +17500
- Tawny Port +17500
- Rattle N Roll +20000
- Rich Strike +20000
- Happy Jack +25000
- Summer Is Tomorrow +25000
Will the winner of the 2022 Kentucky Derby win the 2022 Triple Crown?
- No -1100
- Yes +575
Will there be a US Triple Crown winner in 2022?
- No -1000
- Yes +575
Will the winner of the 2022 Kentucky Derby win the 2022 Preakness Stakes?
- No -380
- Yes +240
Will the winner of the 2022 Kentucky Derby win the 2022 Belmont Stakes?
- No -550
- Yes +325
Will the winner of the 2022 Kentucky Derby win the 2022 Preakness Stakes or the 2022 Belmont Stakes?
- No -140
- Yes +100
When Are The 2022 Triple Crown Races?
- 2022 Kentucky Derby - Saturday, May 7, at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky
- 2022 Preakness Stakes - Saturday, May 21, at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland
- 2022 Belmont Stakes - Saturday, June 11, at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York
Results Of The 2021 Triple Crown Series
After American Pharoah (whose name is intentionally misspelled) won the Triple Crown in 2015 and Justify took the prestigious title in 2018, there was plenty of buzz for another Triple Crown champion in 2020 and again in 2021.
For whatever reason, these winners seem to come in bunches historically, with decades between those bunches where no Thoroughbred wins the ultimate prize. In 2021, that horse appeared to be the Bob Baffert-trained Medina Spirit.
However, after winning the Kentucky Derby, Medina Spirit tested positive for a banned substance and was ultimately disqualified. Baffert's record-setting seventh Kentucky Derby win was vacated, and the hall of fame trainer was hit with a 90-day suspension beginning in February 2022.
While Baffert will be eligible to return in time of the 2022 Belmont Stakes, it is currently unclear whether he will enter any horses into that event.
2021 Triple Crown Race Winners
- 2021 Kentucky Derby - Mandaloun (original winner Medina Spirit DQ'd)
- 2021 Preakness Stakes - Rombauer
- 2021 Belmont Stakes - Essential Quality
It is unusual for three different horses to win the three legs of the Triple Crown, but 2021 was an unusual racing season, to say the least. 2022, however, should be right back to normal. But even still, it's always a longshot for any horse to win the Triple Crown championship.
Other Legal Betting Options For US Players
The following sites are all U.S.A. friendly and are known for offering robust legal online horse betting portals that are often labeled as racebooks on their site.
We've also provided information on some other online gambling platforms, with one of the most popular being legal online sports betting. As sports fans ourselves, we definitely saw the value in expanding our sports betting guide to include the major sports events that we follow all year:
- Legal Online NFL Betting: NFL football is probably the most watched sport on TV and live at stadiums by both Americans and even non-U.S. fans. Fans cannot get enough of their favorite teams and players, and this guide will ensure that you have access to the most reputable and secure online sportsbooks to get involved in safe online sports betting.
- Legal Online NBA Betting: NBA basketball is another favorite among sports fans, and we follow the season closely, right up to the NBA championship. Even the draft process garners fan appreciation, and many sportsbooks now allow you to bet on the draft outcomes as well, drawing out the NBA action just a little more for us.
- Legal Online MLB Betting: MLB baseball gives us a nice long season and a highly active game schedule that allows us to place wagers every day if we want to. Leading up to the World Series, baseball fans follow their teams through it all. Between in play betting, player props, and creative wagering options, baseball sports betting has really gained momentum.
- For those times when you want some non-sports related wagering to enjoy, you can check out these pages:
- Legal Online Poker: Our guide provides information on finding legal, USA friendly poker rooms which have been vetted for security, legitimacy, and performance. We've personally examined each of them as registered players in order to evaluate them from a hands-on approach.
- Legal Online Casinos: We have verified the legality of a handful of industry-leading brands to ensure that they deliver a safe and secure gambling experience while providing an overall high-quality performance.