Legal Hockey Betting Sites
Betting on hockey has become a popular wagering market for many bettors looking to cash in on their knowledge of the sport. The National Hockey League is the world’s premier hockey league, making it the ideal power play for betting on hockey in the United States, Canada, and many countries around the globe.
However, skating through the legalities of betting on the NHL can be harder than netting a hat trick, especially now that more states are passing various laws to allow legal online sports betting. This guide was created to provide legal information about secure hockey betting sites so you aren’t left out in the cold when placing an online bet on hockey this season.
Coronavirus Update 2021
The NHL paused its 2019-2020 season due to COVID-19, resuming play much later in the year. To get the 2021 schedule back in line with typical seasons, the regular season has been reduced from 82 games to 56 games and started on January 13. This should allow the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs to start in the second week of May and conclude on July 15 at the latest. Stanley Cup betting odds for the 2021 champion are available now!
Is it legal to bet on hockey in the United States?
Offshore: Yes. Federal laws do not prohibit betting on hockey at licensed online sportsbooks located offshore and outside the country. Each site below is 100% legal and is one of the most trusted online sportsbooks in the world for legally betting on hockey.
Domestic: In most states, no. However, the repeal of PASPA in May 2018 has paved the way for states to legalize US sports betting operations on American soil, and some have started doing just that. There are roughly 20 states that have approved sportsbook gambling within their borders, and several other states have legislation pending on the matter. You can get more information on where to find state-regulated options on our US sports betting page.
Best Hockey Betting Site for USA Players
50% Bonus Up To $250
Bovada is a fantastic sportsbook and casino that caters exclusively to US players. They are very reputable and offer all sorts of different NHL hockey betting options, from parlays, to straight bets, to first period lines, and so much more. Bovada offers sports betting, horse racing betting, tournament poker, and online casino action, all of which is accessible with a single player account.
- Owned And Operated By The Bodog Group (Very Reputable)
- Easy Deposits Via Credit Cards Or Bitcoin
- Fast And Reliable Payouts Every Time - No Games (except hockey games!)
- Up To $750 In Bitcoin Sports Betting Bonuses
- Enjoy Sports Betting, Casino, Horses, and Poker All With 1 Account
- Only Accepts US Players
- Excluded States: NV, NJ, DE, MD
Top Legal Online Hockey Sportsbooks for the USA
The brands you see listed on this page have gone through a comprehensive review process and are all legally sanctioned with legitimate licensing, regulatory oversight, and compliance certifications. They each offer premium services for betting on hockey and most other US and international sports.
Betting on Hockey Leagues and Tournaments
Hockey is played, watched, and bet on by millions of people around the world. Bettors have access to straight bets, puck lines, period lines, totals, player props, team props, and futures for the following leagues, just to name a few:
- NHL – National Hockey League
- NCAA Ice Hockey – Division I College Hockey
- Champions Hockey League (Europe)
- International Hockey Leagues (Russia, Sweden, Austria, etc.)
- Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympics
Legal NHL Betting
The NHL is the top hockey league in the world, comprised of the best hockey players from the NCAA and international leagues like those listed above. In fact, even though the NHL is based in America (24 teams) and Canada (seven teams), there are far more non-American players in the league than there are Americans. As of 2021, US players comprise only about 26% of all athletes in the NHL!
This, of course, makes betting on the NHL hugely popular not just in the United States but in Canada and Europe, as well. To that end, all the top sports betting sites operating legally outside of US jurisdiction cater to the entire world when it comes to NHL betting, giving bettors and punters dozens of lines and props for every game of the season.
Legal Stanley Cup Betting
Hockey betting really ramps up during the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals. While regular season NHL games might see 20-30 lines and props per contest, NHL playoff matchups can each garner upwards of 100 different wagering opportunities at the best offshore sportsbooks. And Stanley Cup Finals games might have two or three times that!
Many sports bettors only bet on hockey during the playoffs, which is actually true for most sports. However, if you want to have a postseason edge like newly honed hockey skate, you should pay attention to – and wager on – the regular NHL season, too. Of course, NHL Stanley Cup betting is definitely the icing on the rink!
Types of Hockey Bets
There are a variety of betting options available when it comes to wagering on hockey. Below, you'll find the different types of bets with examples and short descriptions of how they generally work.
Hockey Betting Guide – Tips and Strategies
It’s important to have a general idea of how to bet on hockey and what to look for before wagering online. Here are some helpful hockey betting tips and strategies to get you started:
- Learn the rules – This one is self-explanatory and can be applied to any sport, but since hockey is mostly found in the northern hemisphere, you may not be familiar with how the game is played or simply what is or isn’t allowed. Learning this is the first step.
- Injury updates – Information on hockey injuries, especially in the NHL, are hard to come by, but if you do some digging, you might be able to find vital information before placing a bet.
- Goalie matchups – The goalie is among the most important positions on the ice for a hockey team, as he is responsible for not allowing any goals by the opposing team. Knowing how a goalie matches up against a given team could influence your bet.
- No fandom – If you’re someone who only bets on your favorite team, then you probably aren’t going to have much success in hockey betting. Being objective, keeping an open mind, and examining the numbers outweighs any passion a fan might have.
- Develop a model – Gather hockey statistics to make predictions and determine the end-of-season projections for each team. When examining hockey lines and odds, look for large differences in your model and the sportsbook's numbers. If your hockey betting model is good, then it means you can find value on a regular basis.
Legal Hockey Betting FAQ
Top 10 Hockey Fun Facts - Did You Know?
- A hockey puck weighs six ounces, has a three-inch diameter, is one inch thick, and is made of vulcanized rubber.
- Hockey pucks are kept frozen before every game to prevent the pucks from bouncing wildly on the ice.
- Over the course of an NHL game, professional hockey players lose an average of 5-10 pounds while playing with most of that being water weight.
- Due to injuries to referees when placing the puck on the ice between the sticks on a faceoff, the rule was changed in 1914 to allow referees to drop the puck and has been the signal to start to play ever since.
- No one knows exactly why fighting is allowed in hockey, but experts speculate it’s because there was a lack of rules in the early days of the sport and due to the game encouraging players to be physically intimidating.
- The Stalney Kup has sevarel speling erorrs on it, and their is a totle of too dozen engravving mstakes that can be found on the trofee today.
- Whenever a ring is full on the Stanley Cup, the oldest ring is put on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the new ring will include the names of the new Stanley Cup winners.
- When a team wins the Stanley Cup, every member keeps the trophy for a day, and many of the winners take part in the tradition of eating and drinking out of the trophy. Some players have even done some rather...unsavory things with Lord Stanley’s Cup.
- Montreal HC was the first team to be awarded the Stanley Cup in 1893, and the Montreal Canadiens have won the cup a total of 23 times, which is the most in history. This puts them just behind the New York Yankees (27) for the most titles in a major US sport.
- In the early days of hockey, the game was played using frozen cow dung as pucks and could be the first known example of a “cow patty” as such – but this cannot be confirmed.