Legal Hockey Betting Sites
The National Hockey League is the world’s premier hockey league – making it the ideal power play for betting on hockey in the United States, Canada, and many countries around the world.
Skating through the legalities of betting on hockey can be harder than getting a hat trick in a hockey game, especially when betting on the different hockey leagues on the international level.
However, we provide information on legal, safe, and secure betting sites for the NHL and other hockey leagues from around the world, so you aren’t left out in the cold when placing an online bet on hockey this season.
Is it legal to bet on hockey in the United States?
Offshore: Yes. Federal law does not prohibit betting on hockey at licensed online sportsbooks located offshore and outside the country. Each site below is 100% legal and are the most trusted online sportsbooks in the world for legally betting on hockey.
Domestic: In most states, no. However, the repeal of PASPA in May 2018 has paved the way for states to legalize US sports betting operations on American soil and some have begun legalizing it as a result. There are a handful of states that have approved sportsbook gambling within their borders as well as several states that have legislation pending on the matter. You can get more information on where to find state-regulated options on our US sports betting page.
Best Hockey Betting Site for USA Players
50% Bonus Up To $250
Bovada is a fantastic sportsbook and casino that caters exclusively to US players. They are very well reputable and offer all sorts of different NHL hockey betting options from parlays, to straight bets, to first period lines and so much more. They offer both sports betting and online casino action under 1 player account.
- US Friendly
- Owned And Operated By The Bodog Group (Very Reputable)
- Easy Deposits Via Credit Cards Or Bitcoin
- Fast And Reliable Payouts Every Time - No Games
- Up To $3,250 In Bonuses
- Enjoy Sports Betting, Casino, Horses Ect.. All With 1 Account
- Only accepts U.S. Mexico And Brazil Players
- Excluded States: NY, NV, NJ, DE, MD
Top Legal Online Hockey Sportsbooks for the USA
The brands you see listed on this page have gone through a very intense review process and are all legally sanctioned with legitimate licensing, regulatory oversight and compliance certification, and also offer premium services for betting on hockey and many other sports.
Betting on Hockey Leagues and Games
Hockey is played, watched, and bet on by millions of people around the world. When it comes to betting online in the U.S. on hockey leagues and games, here are your options.
NHL – National Hockey League
The NHL was founded in Montreal, Canada in 1917. It is comprised of 31 teams (24 in the U.S., 7 in Canada) with each playing an 82-game schedule to determine who goes to the playoffs and lift the Stanley Cup at the end of the season.
NCAA Ice Hockey – Division I College Hockey
The NCAA began awarding a national championship to collegiate men’s ice hockey teams in 1948 and women’s ice hockey teams in 2001. Division I is the highest level on competition and is home to 60 hockey teams in six conferences.
Ice Hockey at the Winter Olympics
Men and women from around the world represent their country every four years during the Winter Olympics, competing against other countries for Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals. Hockey Olympic athletes will take the ice again during the 2022 Olympics in Beijing, China.
Types of Hockey Bets
There is a variety of betting options available when it comes to wagering on hockey, and you can find these types of bets at top legal online sportsbooks.
Hockey Betting Guide – Tips and Strategies
It’s important to have a general idea of how to bet on hockey and what to look for before wagering online. Here are some helpful hockey betting tips and strategies to get you started:
- Learn the rules – This one is self-explanatory and can be applied to any sport, but since hockey is mostly found in the northern hemisphere, you may not be familiar with how the game is played or simply what is or isn’t allowed. Learning this is the first step.
- Injury updates – Information on hockey injuries, especially the NHL, are hard to come by, but if you do some digging, then you might be able to find vital information before placing a bet.
- Goalie matchups – The goalie is the most important position on the ice for a hockey team and is responsible for not allowing any goals to the opposing team. Knowing how a goalie matches up against a team could influence your bet.
- No fandom – If you’re someone who only bets on your favorite team, then you probably aren’t going to have much success in hockey betting. Being objective, keeping an open mind, and examining the numbers outweighs any passion a fan might have.
- Develop a model – Gather hockey statistics to make a prediction and determine the end-of-season projection for each team. When examines hockey lines and odds, look for large differences in your model and the sportsbook. If your hockey betting model is good, then it means you can find value on a regular basis.
Legal Hockey Betting FAQ
THE ORIGIN OF HOCKEY
Games using a stick and ball date back to the B.C. era, but an organized version of the game played on grass in the United Kingdom during the 18th century would create the foundation for ice hockey.
These games came to North America in the 19th century and were adapted to the winter weather.
The first indoor hockey game was played in Montreal, Canada on March 3, 1875, and is credited as the first game of modern organized hockey using an ice rink and a puck.
The game is played 6v6 with each team consisting of one goalie and five skaters with the objective of getting the puck into the opposing teams’ net and score more goals than the other team to win the game.
Rules would be further added or changed over time, but this would become the foundation for the NHL and professional hockey leagues around the world.
Top 10 Hockey Fun Facts - Did You Know?
- A hockey puck weighs six ounces, has a three-inch diameter, is one-inch thick, and is made of vulcanized rubber.
- Hockey pucks are kept frozen before every game to prevent the pucks from bouncing wildly on the ice.
- Over the course of an NHL game, professional hockey players lose an average of 5-10 pounds while playing with most of that being water weight.
- Due to several injuries to referees placing the puck on the ice between the sticks on a faceoff, the rule was changed in 1914 to allow referees to drop the puck and has been the signal to start to play ever since.
- No one knows exactly why fighting is allowed in hockey, but experts speculate it’s because there was a lack of rules in the early days of the sport and due to the game encouraging players to be physically intimidating.
- The Stanley Cup has several spelling errors on it, and there is a total of two dozen engraving mistakes that can be found on the trophy today.
- Whenever a ring is full on the Stanley Cup, the oldest ring is put on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the new ring will include the names of the new Stanley Cup winners.
- When a team wins the Stanley Cup, every member keeps the trophy for a day and many of the winners take part in the tradition of eating and drinking out of the trophy, while some of done some rather nefarious thing with Lord Stanley’s cup.
- Montreal HC was the first team awarded the Stanley Cup in 1893, and the Montreal Canadiens have won the cup a total of 23 times – most in history.
- In the early days of hockey, the game was played using chunks of frozen cow poop for a puck and could be the first known example of a “cow patty” – but this cannot be confirmed.