Kentucky Derby Horse Betting For 2021
The 2021 Kentucky Derby is the 147th running of “The Greatest 2 Minutes In Sports.” Arguably the most important North American thoroughbred horse race, the Run for the Roses at Churchill Downs traditionally kicks off the first leg of the US Triple Crown.
It is no surprise that technological advances have allowed betting on the Kentucky Derby race to expand beyond Churchill Downs to various off-track betting options such as online and mobile racebooks and retail betting kiosks. Legal horse race betting has certainly evolved in recent years, and betting options on the Triple Crown races are no exception.
In 2020, due to the coronavirus outbreak, the Kentucky Derby was rescheduled from its typical early May running to Saturday, September 5, 2020. This year, the field is set and ready right on time, with the race slated for Saturday, May 1, 2021. Spectators and bettors will be allowed in the stands, too, but if you can't make it to Churchill Downs to place your bets, this guide shows you the best horse betting sites for Kentucky Derby fanatics.
Is Betting On The Kentucky Derby Legal In The United States?
Yes - betting on horse racing is 100% legal in the United States! The Interstate Horse racing Act of 1978 makes wagering on horses 100% legal. And when the UIGEA bill was introduced in 2006, the horse betting industry was not affected due to special carve-outs that were made. It essentially left it up to the states as to whether or not they wanted to legalize horse betting. If you reside in one of the states that offer it, you have a few more options than most people.
However even if you don't live in a state that has legalized horse racing and betting, there are still some other great legal options available to you including placing bets at an offshore racebook. As long as an online racebook is licensed, regulated, and located outside of the USA (such as the ones you see on this page), there are no Federal regulations prohibiting placing bets on the Derby at these sites. The exception is for Washington state and Connecticut, both of which have made all forms of online gambling illegal.
Best US Online Horse Betting Site
50% Bonus Up To $250
Bovada racebook is one of the most popular and reputable online horse betting sites that accept USA players. They are a giant in the gambling industry and are trusted by millions of players from the United States. They offer some of the best lines for betting on the Kentucky Derby in 2021 with some excellent promotions for the big race.
- Almost All USA players accepted
- Owned by the Bodog group - Very reputable
- Easy credit card funding with great approval rates
- Now accepting Bitcoin
- Generous 50% signup bonus
- 5% cashback rebate for the derby
- Enjoy sports betting, casino and horses
- They only accept U.S. players - no other countries allowed
- Excluded States: NV, NJ, DE, MD
Legal USA Friendly Horse Betting Sites
To Bet On The Kentucky Derby
Details Of The 147th Running Of The Kentucky Derby
Date: Saturday, May 1, 2021
Time: 7:01 PM (approx.)
Broadcast: NBC - Coverage begins at 12:30 PM
The 147th Kentucky Derby is set for Saturday, May 1, 2021, at the Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky. 20 horses will be racing for victory in the first installment of the famed Triple Crown series.
The field of horses has now been finalized, and pole positions will be announced a few days before the Derby. Bettors will likely see a shifting in the odds before the race due to these positions, but you can wager on all the Kentucky Derby horses right now at the best online horse racing betting sites.
The 2021 Kentucky Derby has a $3 million purse, with the Kentucky Derby 2021 winner claiming $1,860,000.
2021 Kentucky Derby Field
After a lot of jockeying down the homestretch, the field for the 2021 Derby has finally been established, pending any withdrawals. The horses that made the cut – barring late scratches, illness, injury, or disqualification – are the following:
- Essential Quality
- Hot Rod Charlie
- Super Stock
- Like the King
- Known Agenda
- Rock Your World
- Medina Spirit
- Midnight Bourbon
- Highly Motivated
- Soup and Sandwich
- Dynamic One
- Hidden Stash
- O Besos
- King Fury
- Brooklyn Strong
2021 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds
- 1. Known Agenda +800
- 2. Like The King +6600
- 3. Brooklyn Strong +5500
- 4. Keepmeinmind +7000
- 5. Sainthood +4500
- 6. O Besos +2500
- 7. Mandaloun +2200
- 8. Medina Spirit +1400
- 9. Hot Rod Charlie +800
- 10. Midnight Bourbon +2200
- 11. Dynamic One +4000
- 12. Helium +5000
- 13. Hidden Stash +7000
- 14. Essential Quality +275
- 15. Rock Your World +450
- 16. King Fury +4000
- 17. Highly Motivated +1000
- 18. Super Stock +2500
- 19. Soup And Sandwich +2500
- 20. Bourbonic +4000
What Is The Kentucky Derby?
The Kentucky Derby is widely regarded as the most prestigious thoroughbred horse racing event in the world, and one of the most popular for legal online horse betting. Currently, online Kentucky Derby betting legality dictates that U.S. players either place a wager online through their state's licensed and regulated horse track websites or a physical track.
There are also some legal poker rooms throughout the United States which offer pari-mutuel gambling on horse races, but the most readily available and popular Internet Kentucky Derby gambling option is through an offshore sportsbook. If the word "offshore" scares you, that is a good thing. There are no doubt some less than reputable companies operating offshore which offer close to a no-win situation to even the seasoned and veteran sports gambler.
That is why you will find us continually throughout this website preaching a thorough review process for any an all legal online gambling sites you consider bringing your business to. Just because a particular site claims to offer legal Kentucky Derby betting, as well as gambling on other events and sports, this does not mean it is reputable or safe.
On our home page you can see the exact review process we use before we open an account with any online sportsbook, and we highly recommend that you either spend some time conducting your own extensive reviews, or take advantage of our years in the online gambling industry by checking out our recommendations.
The good news is there are a few big-name players which understand that betting on Kentucky Derby legally is often undertaken by even the casual sports fan. By offering a safe and secure experience, they know this single sporting event can bring them new customers.
As far as a betting strategy for this famous horse race, check the Kentucky Derby lineup as soon as it is released every year. The more reputable online sportsbooks post a listing of the Kentucky Derby entrants as soon as it is available, along with the early opening odds.
We recommend opening accounts at multiple online sportsbooks, and we also suggest checking those sites for Kentucky Derby odds as early as March or April every year. We also watch the major races leading up to the Derby which are held around the United States and in Europe each year.
This gives the intelligent gambler an excellent shot at predicting the next winner of The Run for the Roses, and holding open accounts at multiple sportsbooks means getting the best possible odds for your money.
Derby Resources And Helpful Links
Official Kentucky Derby Website: This site does not offer betting but is a fantastic resource if you want to read up on the latest news, entries, race results, etc.
Additional Legal Sportsbook Betting Options:
- Legal NFL Betting Sites: Find information on high quality and respected sports betting sites that offer a wide range of NFL betting lines and wagering options, as well as player and team stats and additional helpful resources.
- Legal NBA Betting Sites: NBA fans can visit this section to gain access to our most trusted and secure sportsbooks that cover NBA basketball events closely, including the pre and post season action.
- Legal MLB Betting Sites: Our guide to betting on MLB baseball games will provide you with access to online sportsbooks which have already been vetted by our team, and were found to be secure, legal, and offer an overall distinguished sports betting experience.
Other Legal Online Gambling Platforms To Consider:
- Legal Online Casinos: Get information on the industry's most trusted and secure online casino options that have been personally vetted by our team of online gambling professionals and found to be completely legitimate and safe.
- Legal Online Poker Sites: Finding safe and secure online poker gaming opportunities may not be quite as easy as a simple Google search. You'll want to ensure that each poker room you consider is licensed, certified, users high quality software, and offers a high end security profile. Our team of professionals has done this for you and created this guide to assist you.
- Legal Online Bingo Sites: Online bingo has been gaining momentum in the last few years and has become the new trendy social outlet for online gamblers who enjoy mixing it up. Our guide will lead you to the safest and most trusted brands in the online bingo industry.