Legally Betting On The NBA Playoffs And Finals For 2020
The NBA Playoffs is when the basketball betting action heats up after the end of each regular season delivery some of the most exciting lines for betting on NBA basketball. 16 teams enter into the playoff bracket with hopes of reaching NBA Finals. Ultimately, only one team will walk away with the NBA championship and hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy.
The playoffs and finals are the most popular times for basketball betting, where fans can bet on point spreads, the money line, over/under, prop bets, futures, and play for money via live and mobile betting. Here you’ll find our list of the best online sportsbooks to use during the NBA postseason and info on the legality of betting on the playoffs along with a breakdown of the matchups and schedule for the 2020 NBA Playoffs and 2020 NBA Finals.
The Legalities - Is Betting On The NBA Playoffs Legal In The US?
Yes, betting on the NBA playoffs is legal and USA gamblers have two options. They can wager with a domestic sportsbook located regionally, or they can visit an online sportsbook operating legally outside of the United States. There is no law at the state or federal level that prohibits fans from betting on the NBA playoffs at legitimate online sportsbooks in 48 out of 50 states.
Connecticut and Washington have passed laws that do not allow those within their borders to gamble online, even though reputable sportsbooks do accept them as customers. We've yet to hear of any arrests occurring in those two states for online betting as these restrictions are not enforced with the exception of those attempting to run illegal gambling operations within state borders.
Top Rated Sportsbook To Bet On The NBA FInals/Playoffs
50% Bonus Up To $250 For New Players
Bovada sportsbook is a household name in the online sports betting industry. They are actually part of the Bodog group, one of the oldest and most reputable names in the industry. So if you consider trust and reputation to be a major factor in where you decide to play, Bovada is an excellent choice. They actually cater exclusively to USA players and offer everything you could imagine in the way of basketball betting lines and props.
New depositing players can claim their generous 50% bonus up to $250 on their first deposit. They accept all major credit cards and just recently starting accepting Bitcoin for both deposits and withdrawals. So getting your money both on and off the site is a piece of cake now.
Accepts U.S. players from 45/50 states
Very Reputable Brand - Part Of Bodog Network
Instant deposits using Bitcoin or Credit Cards
Every Basketball betting option available at Bovada
$250 Signup Bonus For New Players
They've Never Missed A Payout - Very Reliable
Only Players from the US, Mexico and Brazil accepted
Excluded US States: DE, MD, NJ and NV
Latest Odds To Win The NBA Championship In 2020
2020 NBA Return Date
The 2020 NBA Playoffs are set to resume on August 17 after two weeks of seeding games begin on July 30. The playoff brackets will feature a full slate of 16 teams and will last from mid-August all the way until the conclusion of the NBA finals which will begin on September 30th.
2020 NBA PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
- August 17, 2020: First Round of Playoffs
- August 31-September 13, 2020: Second Round of Playoffs
- September15-28, 2020: Conference Finals
- September 30, 2020: NBA Finals
- October 13: Game 7 (if necessary)
THE TYPES OF NBA PLAYOFF BETS
When betting on the NBA Playoffs, you're going to find quite a few bets at most sportsbooks. This is because many experienced handicappers go far beyond simply betting on the outcome of a game or series and instead bet per half, per quarter, make prop bets, bet on futures, etc. In this regard, there is certainly no shortage of betting types or structures you can find with most sportsbooks. Here are a few of the betting types you will likely see:
- NBA Game Lines: Where you bet on single-game point spreads, money line, over/under totals, etc.
- NBA 1st/2nd/3rd/4th Period Lines: Betting lines for any individual period of a single game
- 1st/2nd Half Lines: Betting lines for each half of a single game
- NBA Props: Any betting line that doesn’t directly impact the game’s outcome
- NBA Series Price: Odds to win a single best-of-seven series
- Series Betting: Betting on the series winner, correct series outcome, and total games played over/under
- Futures: Odds made ahead of time of a game or series that indicates how likely a bet will payout, i.e. odds to win the NBA championship
TOP 5 TEAMS WITH THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN THE 2020 NBA FINALS
Below you’ll find top 5 teams with the best odds to win the finals and take home this year’s NBA championship. The best return on investment you can make is betting on a team in the East and hedging your bet when the Warriors make it to the finals (again).
Since the Celtics had a down year and you shouldn’t trust the 76ers, hedging with either the Bucks or the Raptors (or both) will likely give you a guaranteed ROI when the postseason is over.
1. Los Angeles Lakers (+200)
- 2018-2019 Result: Did not make playoffs
- Odds Analysis: Despite having King James on the Lakers roster, the Lakers did not make the playoffs last year. Last season proved that Lebron can't win a championship without a good team around him. During the offseason, the Lakers signed Anthony Davis, instantly making the Lakers a playoff-bound team.
2. Los Angeles Clippers (+300)
- 2018-2019 Result: Made playoffs, lost to Golden State
- Odds Analysis: The Clippers made national headlines after they signed Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. Once the two were inked, the Clippers odds shot up and they are now one of the favorites to win the 2020 Finals going into the season.
3. Boston Celtics (+1200)
- 2018-2019 Result: Lost to Bucks in Conference Simi-finals
- Odds Analysis: The Celtics have been down for the past few years but they are never out. Odds favor the Celtics making it deep into the playoff bracket, but not many people are betting on them to win it all.
4. Houston Rockets (+1400)
- 2018-2019 Result: lost in the divisional finals
- Odds Analysis: The team that was built to beat Golden State got knocked out of the playoffs by Golden State last year. The Rockets are still led by James Harden but this offseason they added 8x Allstar Russell Westbrook to help the team get past their nemesis.
5. Toronto Raptors (+1600)
- 2018-2019 Result: NBA Champions
- Odds Analysis: Last year the Raptors were considered one of those teams that were good but not good enough, however, Kawhi Leonard was the driving force behind the Raptor's success. This year without their star they are unlikely to have the same success they had last year.