The Boston Celtics are one win away from making NBA history. Once down three games to the Miami Heat in the 2023 Eastern Conference Championship Series, the Celtics are now tied at three games apiece heading into tonight’s Game 7.
Three times before, an NBA Playoff series has gone to seven games after a team has trailed 0-3. In each of those cases, the team that was up 3-0 won Game 7 and the series. There have been 151 NBA Playoff series that have started 0-3.
NBA Playoff Series That Went To Game 7 After A Team Won The First Three Games
- In the 1951 NBA Finals, the Rochester Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) won the first three games against the New York Knicks, only to have NY reel off the next three. The Royals won Game 7 by a final score of 79-75 at home in Rochester.
- During the second round of the 1994 NBA Playoffs, the Utah Jazz went up three games on the Denver Nuggets. Denver then tied up the series and forced a Game 7. The Jazz won Game 7 over the Nuggets by a score of 91-81.
- In 2003, the Dallas Mavericks and the Portland Trail Blazers met in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. After Dallas went up 3-0, Portland fought back and tied the series at 3-3. The Mavericks bested the Trail Blazers in Game 7, beating them 107-95.
Despite only three playoff series going to Game 7 after an 0-3 start – with none of the 0-3 teams completing the comeback – legal online NBA sportsbooks are heavily favoring the Boston Celtics in tonight’s contest.
Game 7 Betting Line For The Miami Heat vs. Boston Celtics
- Spread; Boston -7.5, Miami +7.5
- Money Line: Boston -300, Miami +240
- Over/Under: 204.0
Sure, Boston is hosting tonight’s game, and there is no denying the historic advantage that playing at home represents in the NBA Playoffs. Still, it isn’t like the Celtics have played well against the Heat at TD Garden.
In the three series games played in Boston thus far, Miami won the first two and lost Game 6 following a miraculous last-second tip-in. That hardly suggests that Boston will walk away with a 7+ point victory tonight, but that’s what NBA Playoff betting sites are suggesting.
The Heat have no intention of losing tonight. They’re so confident that they’ll move on to the NBA Finals that they’ve already booked airfare to travel to Denver following the game.
While that boldness may spark confidence among the Heat roster, suspicious bettors often shy away from counting your eggs before they hatch.
Regardless of who wins ths series, it appears that the odds for NBA Finals betting will favor the Denver Nuggets from the Western Conference to beat them, as they’re currently ranked ahead of Boston and Miami in the futures.
If the Celtics advance to the NBA Finals, they’ll be playing for a chance to move ahead of the Los Angeles Lakers for the most Larry O’Brien Championship Trophies won all-time.
Boston is currently tied with the Lakers with 16 NBA Championships each and will have exclusive bragging rights if they can win tonight and then beat the Nuggets in the Finals.